Tuesday, April 27, 2010

After a wile of looking for models I began to cast my shoots on Craig's list. It turned out to be a good resource for me. It reminds me of going fishing when I was a kid. You cast your add an wait.... Seeing if someone on the other side will bite. Often its exactly the same as fishing and you hit a feeding frenzy. Some adds I would place I would have 10 to 20 replies, and a variety of people to consider. Other times your add just floats out in cyberspace with no reply. Or your line is cut... On Craig's list it called FLAGGED... When I left my studio on 2nd street I decided to look on line to see if I could find a new space in the city to work in. I was lucky and the first add I followed up on turned out to be the place. I packed my things and moved over to Broadway. I took a space in a large studio sharing with a figure painter named Robert. Robert was an old school, very classic figure painter. He had a long grey beard and GRUFF attitude. We hit it off well on our first meeting and soon I found myself tucked into the dark corner of his space. It had 2 windows that faced a light well that hardly produced light. In stead they seemed to simply allow smells from the light well to penetrate our studio. I looked at it as a challenge and switched from shooting with sunlight to shooting with studio lights. Of course I had no money so I grabbed a few clip on light from canal street and a white paper bag and returned to a style of lighting that I had developed in high school shooting pictures in my best friend mikes bed room. This story of the space came to mind when I looked at this shoot I call it painted bodies. It was the last shoot I did in that studio, space # 417. More images will come and many more stories but since I'm looking back I must be starting with this.





No comments: