Friday, April 30, 2010

I love the human body, and from my work you can see the male form is my focus. Its so interesting how it is the one thing we are so close to and still the one thing we are, as a society, so far away from. I think the nude still has a taboo around it. Male nudes most of all. I went to the photography show at the Park avenue armory recently and was on the hunt for male nudes. I knew it would be a battle, I weeded my way around landscapes and objects, over female nudes and down deep under it were some great male nude images. Seems to be the place you find them if your outside the "GAY"/ "erotic" market. Under it all at the bottom. Not to say some work does not get play because it does, its just interesting to me how and where it fits into the bigger picture. This set of images were shoot from 2006. The images are bold, I often myself, question some images and look at them and think, is this too much? Do they some how cross this line I have in my mind. I want so much for my work to be about an investigation into seeing the body in its beauty. Im not interested in being an "erotic" photographer, I find that way to easy. I know that there is a big difference between nude and naked. Between looking at something sensualy, and showing some one something eroticly. My work is about how I see things, or how I would like to see things, I think thats why all artists make things because in the world around them they are not seeing the things they are drawn to in the way they wish to so they manifest it for themselves.





No comments: