Monday, April 26, 2010

Seeing work a new. The friend I shared this studio with was a very wise soul. We would sit and talk for hours about photos, music, and the act of creativity. She and I were fellow waiters at a Mexican restaurant on St marks place. She was the person I was paired up with when I was hired. She was given the job to train me and show me the ropes. We hit it off great, she called me Riley. Working together every day we got to know each other well and found that the draw of the night, late hours of drinks and party favors were something we had in common. Her and her girl friend had moved to Brooklyn and were using her girlfriends apt now as a studio, they asked me if I wanted to rent the small front room and I did. I have no idea what happened to Guinevere. I have tried and tried to contact her with no reply..... The last time we spoke was after I had moved out of the studio and we met for coffee. We sat on a bench outside in the sun and she told me that she was moving to Portland for a wile. Doing and apartment trade, and would be back in 6 months or so. She never returned. She once said that as artists we can make things that are often way before there time. Songs that we rite, photos that we take and then slip into a folder or a box because we cant relate to them. Then years latter we pull them out and they make complete sense. Life has had its ups and downs and the work that was foreshadowing that opens up and and comes to fruition. I kept that in my heart from the night she said it and have lived by the philosophy ever since. Who knows maybe our friend ship is just slipped into a box for a wile and some day we will meet again and it will all make sense. This shoot is a perfect example of this, I remember I met this guy at the cock on 2nd street and avenue a one night. I got his number in the dark and set up a time to photograph him. I figured it was one of the many late night plans that would never pan out.... I was surprised the next day when the buzzer rand and he was there for his shoot. I never looked at the pictures until today 7 years later, and I love what I see.








No comments: