Monday, May 03, 2010

Jumping around a bit in my editing process I now find myself into images I shot in the studio I moved into across the hall from where I shared with the figure painter. I was working at home in NJ on a series of photographs for a client where I was shooting rings and using an amazing stone as my backdrop. As I worked I imagined shooting people against this stone. I thought the texture on rock coupled with skin would be amazing. I was at the end of my lease on studio 417 and knowing that Robert my studio mate was leaving it was time for me to look for a new space. I asked the ladies in the office to show me what they had. I was walked across the hall to a space with a huge wall, 12 feet by 20 feet, worn and textured in plaster and paint from decades of ware an tear. It was the original wall from the building that at a point some one polished. IT WAS AMAZING! It was the stone. I rented the space, knowing it was way over my budget, because I needed to shoot against it. I packed up and moved across the hall. This was a strange time in my life and now looking back it was a major turning point. The energy of everything was up in the air and unstable. I was a complete disaster, physically, and emotionally, I was at rock bottom, my soul was dying, and my art was struggling to keep me alive. I think all things happen for a reason and this new space, with this amazing wall changed me. When I reached the bottom is when I was, for the first time in some year, able to see a light of change. This space, these photo, and a reconnection with my soul pulled me out of a dark and scary place.






No comments: